July 10-11 2014
January 31, 2014
- Professor Jane Ridley, University of Buckingham (Bertie: A Life of Edward VII; The Young Disraeli; The Architect and his Wife: a life of Edwin Lutyens).
- Professor Katharine Cockin, University of Hull (The Collected Letters of Ellen Terry; Women and Theatre in the Age of Suffrage; Edith Craig (1869-1947))
Proposals are invited for 20-minute papers for a range of topics. These might include, but are not limited to:
- Challenges in recovering both well-known and forgotten subjects
- Celebrity and infamy
- Working with letters and diaries
- Creative writing's use of Victorian and Edwardian lives
- Shifting reputations
- The legacies of earlier biographers (e.g. Froude, Strachey)
- New developments in the field
- Teaching life-writing
The conference includes a tour of Knebworth and conference dinner at the house. Residential accommodation is at the University of Hertfordshire.
Please email 300 word abstracts or enquiries to the conference organisers, Rowland Hughes, Andrew Maunder and Janice Norwood atVictorianLives@gmail.com. The closing date for abstracts is January 31, 2014.